What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus or Covid-19 is a new virus called the severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The Virus was identified initially in Wuhan, China. The disease is called Coronavirus disease. Wold Health Organization (WHO) named it the Covid-19.
In March 2020, WHO declared Covid-19 a pandemic. Public Health Canada is monitoring the spread of the Covid-19. The Public Health Canada is issuing regular directive for prevention and treatment of the illness.
How does Covid-19 transmit?
The Covid-19 spread primarily by small droplets, produced when people cough, sneeze, or talk with close contact. The Coronavirus is also transmitted by touching infected surfaces and/or face. The Covid-19 survives for hours to days on different surfaces. For example the virus was detected on cardboard up to one day, on plastic for 3 days and on stainless steel for 3 hours.
The virus is most contagious when people are symptomatic. But it may spread even by asymptomatic infected individual.
What are the symptoms of Covid-19?
Coronavirus symptoms can be mild to severe. The symptoms are fever ( T >=38 degree Celsius), dry cough, shortness of breath, lost of tastes or smell, sore throat, runny nose, fatigue,confusion, runny nose, headache, muscle aches and death. The Elderly and those with chronic conditions are most at risk. Symptoms may appear up to 14 days post exposure.
How can you prevent infection and/or transmission of Covid-19?
Public health Canada and WHO recommend the following precaution in prevention and/or transmission of Covid-19:
– Social distancing (keep your distance at lease 2 meter)
– Avoid large gathering or events or party
– Wear mask even if home made cloth mask
– Self isolate if you are symptomatic
– Stay at home to reduce risk of infection
– Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds or use alcohol sanitizer with at least 70% alcohol.
– Avoid touching your mouth, nose or eyes
– Clean and disinfect surfaces and groceries you touch daily
What to do if you suspect or have Covid-19?
– Self isolate yourself.
– or You can call us at PAYWAND Medical Centre for a telephone consultation (289) 304 4666.
– If you are in any other part of the World, speak to your local public health or your doctor.
Refrain from visiting your doctor’s office or going outside your house to prevent transmission to local population.
What are the treatment for Covid-19?
The treatment of Coronavirus is symptomatic. That means you take pain killer such as tylenol for muscle pain or fever. Keep yourself hydrated. If your respiratory system is severely affected, then you will require hospitalization or ventilator use. There is currently no cure for Covid-19 nor any vaccine.